Module 9 Population
Unit 1 The population of China is about 1.37 million.
l Knowledge objective
1. To understand the conversation in relation to population.
2. To get specific information from the listening material.
3. To talk about and understand numbers.
l Ability objective
To make a short passage or a dialogue with the points in this unit
l Moral objective
To get the student to know how to make a teamwork
New words and expressions
To learn the grammar knowledge of big numbers
To grasp the phrases and important sentences
PWP method, task-based method and interactive approach
A tape recorder, multimedia and some pictures
Step 1 Lead-in
Ss look at the pictures and fill in the blanks.
Step 2 Consolidate new words
Look and say. The teacher shows the pictures of new words and let the students say the new words as quickly as possible.
Step 3 Look at the picture and talk about the picture
Let Ss look at the picture and use the words in the box to talk in pairs.
Step 4 Listening
Listen to Activity 2 and choose the best answer.
1) What’s the population of Beijing?
a) About 11 million b) About 13 million c) About 20 million
2) What’s the population of Chongqing?
a) About 28 million b) More than 33 million c) About 36 million
Step 5 Listen to the dialogue and answer the questions
1. What is Tony preparing for a report called “our growing population”?
2. Where are they talking?
Step 6 Listen to the dialogue and answer the questions
Let Ss listen to the dialogue and answer the two questions. Then check in groups.
Step 7 Read the dialogue and answer the questions
1. Is population increase a big problem in many countries?
2. How many babies are born every minute in the world?
3. Will China’s population grow fast? Why?
Step 8 Now complete the notes
Babies born in every minute (world):
Babies born every year (world):
Population of China:
Population of the world:
Step 9 Choose the correct answer
Let Ss choose the correct answers and show in groups.
1) Birth happens at the start / at the end of life.
2) Huge means large / small.
3) An increase in population means more / fewer people.
4) Hang on a minute means waiting for a short time / a long time.
5) Making notes means writing a long passage / a few words.
6) A problem is something easy / difficult.
7) A report is a long piece of writing / a few words.
8) A billion is a hundred / a thousand million.
Step 10 Everyday English
I don’t believe! Hang on a minute! Great!
Step 11 Listen and repeat
Listen and repeat the numbers. Get the students to learn how to read the numbers: thousand, billion, and million.
Listen and repeat.
8,742 eight thousand, seven hundred and forty-two
2,463,128 two million, four hundred and sixty-three thousand, one hundred and twenty-eight
1,370,000,000 one billion, three hundred and seventy million
2,000,030,000 two billion and thirty thousand
Step 12 Check the statements you agree with
1. To check the right statements according to your opinion.
2. Work in groups and discuss your answers.
1) There are too many people in the world.
2) The increasing population is the biggest problem in the world.
3) People should not have too many babies.
4) A city should not hold more than one million people.
Step 13 Language points
Let Ss master the main points of the passage.
1) I’m preparing some notes for a report called “Our growing population”.
prepare … for … 为……准备……
e.g. He is preparing a dinner for his friends.
prepare后还可以接间接宾语，即prepare sb. sth.，相当于prepare sth. for sb.，意为“为某人
2) That causes a lot of problems, such as too much traffic and noise.
too many后面加可数名词，too much后面加不可数名词，都表示“太多的”。
e.g. There are too many books in the bookshop.
There is too much water on the ground.
3) I can’t believe it!
4) The population of China is about 1.37 billion.
billion(十亿), million (百万), thousand (千)都是数字单位。
前面有具体数字修饰时，用单数形式；billion还常用于固定结构billions of, 表示“数以十亿计的”。与此用法类似的词还有hundred, thousand, million等。
e.g. The man is very rich. He has five billion.
There are billions of books in the big library. 大图书馆有数以亿计的图书。
5) That’s almost one fifth of the world’s population, ...
one fifth 表示“五分之一”，fifth是序数词。
分数的表达：分子用基数词，分母用序数词。分子大于1时，分母 + s。
e.g. 2/5: two fifths
6) Hang on a minute!
hang on 通常用来表示让某人等一下, 相当于hold on。
e.g. Hang on! I’ll be back in a minute.
Step 14 Grammar
e.g. 729 ：seven hundred and twenty nine.
6,500,431,729： six billion five hundred million four hundred and thirty one thousand seven
hundred and twenty nine.
Step 15 Summary
make notes prepare for too much one fifth hang on talk about
Step 16 Exercises
Do some exercises about the main points.
1) -What are you preparing _____ your party?
-I’m thinking about who I’ll invite.
A. at B. for C. with
2) There are _____ people in the little room.
A. so much B. so many C. very much
3) - Could you give me some advice about learning English?
- Certainly. Why not ____ in class?
A. make books B. make notes C. making notes
4) ____ of the world’s population is in China.
A. One five B. One fifths C. One fifth
5) - The school bus is coming.
- _____. I’ll come in a minute.
A. Hang on B. On earth C. Once or twice
6) Population _____ is a big problem in the world.
A. increase B. describe C. protect
7) I think ____ of the materials I listened to at the beginning of the exam ____ easy.
A. three fourths, is B. third four, are
C. three fourths, are D. three fourth, are
8) ____ trees have been planted near here, so the air is very fresh.
A. Two hundreds B. Hundred of
C. Hundreds of D. Hundreds
9) _____ visitors come to Xingyi during May Day holidays every year.
A. Thousands of B. Two thousands
C. Thousand of D. Thousand
Step 17 Homework